Hall EThe centrepiece of Gasteig HP8
Description & impressions
The listed Hall E is a red-brick former transformer hall that now houses the foyer of the Isarphilharmonie and the smaller Projektor auditorium. Filled with the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Hall E is also a versatile space – as well as being an entrance hall, it can be transformed into a dance floor or an event location.
Visitors who come in via the main entrance are greeted by the friendly and welcoming ambience of GAiA Deli & News, while the steps outside are a popular place to sit and relax. The magnificent gold counter of the GAiA Bar – the hospitality area in the foyer – is an eye-catching feature. But that is not all there is to see in Hall E, where the open balustrades encircling the upper floors offer tempting glimpses of the architecture and the action.
The ground floor of Hall E is a fascinating location for events and receptions. If the Isarphilharmonie is being used, then 146 m² are available; if not, then the ground floor can accommodate events for 900 people. The mezzanine floor one level up can also be booked as an additional space and can accommodate up to 200 people.
The restrained industrial design and the large glass roof create the perfect setting for spectacular light installations. Our technical design professionals will work with you to create custom lighting and perfectly balanced sound, whatever your event.
Accessibility: ground-level access via Schäftlarnstrasse, Hans-Preißinger-Strasse and Brudermühlstrasse (wide staircase/ramp); barrier-free elevator to the upper levels, signage in Braille; barrier-free WCs on the first floor and mezzanine level of Hall E. More information on accessibility can be found here.
Hall E was built for the neighbouring Heizkraftwerk Süd power station, with work starting in 1926. It was designed by Hermann Leitenstorfer and Fritz Beblo, architects and city planners at Munich’s planning department, in the “Neue Sachlichkeit” (“New Objectivity”) style. It was partially destroyed in the Second World War before being rebuilt from 1948 onwards – with a few modifications from Wilhelm von Gumberz. Renovation work started in 2019 to turn it into interim premises for the Gasteig, with the architects working closely with the Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege – the Bavarian state department for heritage conservation.